Sunday, October 16, 2011

Day 16 - Sowing and reaping

Ephesians 6: 7-9 "Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man SOWETH, that shall he also REAP. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap CORRUPTION; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap LIFE EVERLASTING. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."

I don't know about you, but I grew up hearing these verses or at least paraphrases of them. For some reason though, I always heard them with a negative tone. Perhaps it was the condemning voice of the Accuser purposing to cause me to walk under shame and guilt.

It's funny how even the world has adopted these verses - minus the Scripture reference. We've all heard "What comes around, goes around." Right?

It's easy to sow to the flesh - I do it every day as the thoughts cross my mind, "I want it my way." "It's all about me." Blah, blah, blah.

But what about sowing to the Spirit? What does that look like? A kind word, a handwritten note, a text, a meal, a smile, a coffee date, a listening ear...

So many opportunities.

Will it come back to us? These verses say that it will, but the funny thing is, the more you sow to the Spirit, the less it becomes about you. Continuing to learn...everyday...

No comments:

Post a Comment