Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Day 11 - Idol Worship

Several weeks ago, I watched an online teaching that really caused me to think...

The speaker was referring to a time when he when he was facing opposition from all sides, and as he cried out to the Lord for help, God revealed to him that before God would fight on his behalf, He wanted the speaker to get rid of the idols in his life.

Of course, when he mentioned that God showed him the idols in his life, my thoughts turned to myself, and I quickly dismissed that I too might have idols. "Surely not," I thought.

But I decided to pray about it. I asked God to show me IF I had any idols in my life.

I laugh at it now because my idols had all kinds of harmless names. I had justified many things and tolerated so many others in my life.

Now, mind you, idols are not those that just have a physical form. Sometimes those are more obvious, but mindsets and attitudes can be idols as well.

Two of the main idols that he showed me in my life were Comfort and Convenience. Ouch!! That hurt a lot!

I don't mind giving away money or possessions. In fact, I love to give things away to others.

But giving up my time or my comfort or convenience, well - I have a much harder time with that. Just keeping it real here.

When you ask God for revelation, He shows up in a big way! He has such a loving way of teaching and correcting.

I'd like to say that I'm idol free, but really I won't ever be. I can lay them down, then I pick them up again, lay them down, and the cycle repeats. I'm so thankful for His grace and mercy and patience, aren't you?

So what about you? Do you have idols in your life that are weighing you down? Today might be a really good day for you to lay them down as well. They just tend to wedge themselves in the middle of our relationship with our Father and can/do cause separation. It's just not worth it.

Exodus 20:3 "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

No comments:

Post a Comment