Monday, October 10, 2011

Day 10 - Professionals need not apply

So this is day 10 in my series of 31 days of Truth. I've loved the challenge to put some of my favorite Truths from the Word of God down on paper. I'm pretty sure I could spend time each day for the rest of my life and never run out of Truths to share. I love also how the same verse having been read over and over casts light on a situation in an expected way and is repurposed to show yet another aspect of God's character at work in our lives.

Yesterday Todd, Daniel, and I were on a little road trip, and our conversation turned to discussing the disciples. I began wondering aloud who the disciples might be in modern-day times. If Jesus were walking in physical form on the earth today, where would he go to call his disciples - a bar? a factory? a truck stop? a homeless shelter?

Jesus didn't pick his disciples from the professionals or the religious leaders - He picked from among the average men of the day, perhaps those thought of as less than average.

I don't know about you, but that's so encouraging for me. I fall in that category of average on my very best day.

But for His disciples, just like for each one of us, He looks upon us from the point of completion. He stands at the finish line, knowing the full potential of who we are through Him, and it is at that place from which He calls us.

Philippians 1:6 says, "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Christ Jesus:"

He is faithful to complete that which He started in us. Never stopping, never giving up, never losing hope. What a promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment